Back to top

Completing the Insulation Project

Tim Dachtera / Vehicles  / Sundowner  / Insulation  / Completing the Insulation Project

Completing the Insulation Project

Now that the insulation has been completed, short of a little more metal tape around the insulation, we can dig into some of the more fun projects, like framing and electrical.

Here are a few notes I made on the insulation and basis shell prep-work before we started closing off the walls.

Rust Clean-up

When we pulled back the carpeting, there were 3 small areas of concern with some surface rust I wanted to address since we were down to the shell of the trailer. I’ve been a fan of POR-15 for many years from work on other projects and figured it was a great product for the few areas of concern.  After cleaning the areas on the floor, and a few areas near the nose where moisture had pooled under the carpeting I laid down some fresh paint.  

The product is designed to neutralize existing rust, and also help prevent rust from re-appearing or spreading, so it was an ideal choice to use here.

Rust Prep
Rust Prep

Water Issues

I noticed last summer, there was an area near the window that was damp for some reason, and as long as everything was apart on the inside, I would spray on some sealer in hopes to keep water out from the inside.  I will also be re-caulking the windows from the outside, but this should help keep anything off the new carpet that may make its way past the exterior seal.  Much like a boat, water will run from anywhere, to anywhere in an RV or trailer of any sorts, so I’ve done my best to stop the seeping where I can visually see it leaking during a rainstorm.

After our last big rain (longer constant soaking) I did not see any moisture on the inside near the window!

Water Proofing
Water Proofing

Buttoning up the nose

Same as with the window, since I already had most of a can left, why not use it on some other potential problem areas, since they would soon be closed off for good.

Also, I sealed up where the wiring comes into the trailer from the neck, as I found a nice family or hornets living there last summer when I pulled away the front plate to get at some wiring.

I added a heavy bead of caulk along the base of the nose, as it was starting to pull away from the seam slightly, and I did not have any desire to completely strip off the nose covering to fix a rivet on each side that popped off.

Sealing Up
Sealing Up

R you kidding me?

Sure, the R-value of these boards is only a 6 value if I recall, as long as I was doing it, why not add some metal duct tape on all the edges to add a little more vapor barrier to the mix.  It may be overkill, and we won’t be using this in negative degree weather by any means, but why not make every attempt to do as complete and correct job of this as long as I’m doing it.  Also, at least with the tape and added vapor barrier, it may help ever so slightly in keeping the horse/tack smell from seeping into the living quarters.  Since I’m allergic, that’s key here.  (I also added 3/8″ gasket around the pass-thru door last summer and that drastically improved the air quality)  

Insulation Sealing
Insulation Sealing

Around the windows

Again, we’re going to get minimum value of insulation here, but in my opinion, anything can help.  This is just some expanding spray foam you’d use to seal up holes around your home.  And honestly, I expect it to deter spiders from making nests in the little crevices and pockets more than anything in here.  

Corner Seals
Corner Seals